Last week we left for Chicago to share my views on social media and medicine.
The round-table was fun. I enjoyed sharing my views (and I have many) with the other participants: two related to the business of medicine (Allergan), two practice administrators and two doctors. My co-participants all have some experience communicating with patients digitally. None maintain a blog.
Each of us shared our views on a variety of topics; types of websites, blogs, Twitter, FaceBook, Apps for docs, etc.
I was very proud to speak about what this site has taught me about:
- providing value and relevance to readers
- understanding the importance of developing relationships; real or virtual
- the strength of social media
- why social media, however it is defined, now allows patients to be more selective in their health care choices; choosing doctors or otherwise.
The round table discussion will be transcribed and published in September/October just before the AAO meeting.
Doctors Must Learn Transparency to Succeed
Also on Monday, an article I wrote for KevinMD.com was published regarding the need for doctors to learn personal transparency to succeed using social media. I am proud to say, this essay also developed from my work here on this site.
There is a lot of interest in doctors learning the whys and hows of websites and social media.
What Does this Mean?
Both Chicago and the KevinMD.com has confirmed that forums such as this site are few and far between, but are becoming more vital as to how readers/patients receive their information on health and healthcare.
Doctors have traditionally been dictatorial in our methods of communication with patients. The Internet/social media is challenging our old ways.
After this weekend, I am certain;
- medicine is becoming consumer driven
- few doctors are really taking advantage of the Internet, but there is no hurry
- any amount engagement; website, YouTube, blog, etc. is better than nothing
- if a doc has no web presence, he basically doesn’t “exist”
Doctors who understand these new concepts will be providing the most value to you, our patients